Thursday, October 11, 2012

PLAY DATE artist: Heather Otto of Made in Mama's Craft Room



Play Date artist (PDa) is a new feature here on my blog. I send out a package to my playmate which includes some of my handmade components (beads, charms and/or focals) along with a few coordinating beads and findings. My playmate and I will both create a piece of jewelry using those same select components plus some of our own stash.




This week's playdate is HEATHER OTTO of Mama's Craft Room!
Heather is such a crafty girl, hopping from craft to craft AND doing them all with LOVE ! Heather is a happy girl, a VERY loving mama, and just an all-around doll! That's why I am giggling-happy to be playing with her this week, always nice to have company that you truly enjoy being around.   Find out more about Heather  by clicking HERE.

We both started with this little package which included one of my new beads, OLIVEr with a TWIST


https://www.etsy.com/listing/111851569/oliver-with-a-twist-beads-set-of-3

Remember we didn't HAVE to use all of the pieces in the pack, just these focus beads, OLIVEr with a TWIST.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/111851569/oliver-with-a-twist-beads-set-of-3
My "OLIVEr with a TWIST" beads

I tried something new this time, stringing! Well, what I refer to as stringing. I don't know what the true definition of stringing is but to me it means no wire loops or chains, JUST wire and beads! I also don't usually do necklaces, just don't think it’s my thing. I never know what to do to fill all those spaces in between beads! Sort of like a conversation, I never was good at small talk. I babble when I get nervous, AND for some reason, silence makes me nervous.
So here are a few photos of what I came up with…





I tried to add a little nature and texture by adding wooden pieces – they ended up making the necklace have a little more texture than I wanted due to the way they just wouldn't lay flat. BUT the more I looked at it, the more it grew on me. I kind of like the way it changes the shape of the necklace- not just ‘hanging there’. What do you think?


So, I wonder what Heather did with her OLIVEr with a TWIST beads? LET’s go take a peek, shall we?  CLICK HERE!
Thanks for coming by and be sure to tune in next week for our next episode!


8 comments:

Pepita said...

Oh, this sounds a great idea - can't wait to see what will be the results of this play :-)

Heather said...

AAAHHH!!! We both made necklaces!!! I LOVE your necklace! You incorporated the extra beads and the sweet flower beads beautifully and really "girlified" it without making it sticky sweet. That might not make sense to most, but as someone who doesn't wear a ton of frills and fuss, it makes perfect sense! Love it. Thank you for letting me play. It was great fun!

Jackie said...

Innovative,but always staying true to your self..

Unknown said...

We are sooo in tune right now, huh? I LOVE YOUR necklace MORE!! hahahaha

I TOTALLY get what you are saying, I am a earthy girl too! I don't do too well with bows and glitter myself but do need to get outta the mud ONCE in a while and the wooden flowers were just enough for my soul.

THANKS again for playing with me Heather! Shells

Unknown said...

Thank you darlin' !

Shirley said...

Shelley, I really like this necklace! It is bold, without yelling at you. Lots of textures and colors to keep your eye moving. Cool.

Jami aka DaMamaShipp said...

Shelley, I like how you incorporated all the other beads and pieces with your soup. They all look like they belong - each saying I am here, but none overshadowing another. Nicely done! I like bold earthy pieces...

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

Love your final reflection about letting the necklace "grow" on you, Shelley. So many times we are not satisfied immediately with our work and are in a rush to change (improve?) it. A little patience can change our outlook. I personally LOVE the wood element here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...